So, I’m definitely not a beauty blogger or aficionado; you won’t see me doing makeup tutorials on YouTube or cultivating a curated, polished Instagram. However, I’m what you might call a “product junkie” when it comes to health, beauty, and wellness products! (Pet products, to!)
Whether it’s skincare, haircare, makeup, or supplements, I’m one of those people who will try just about anything for wellness and beauty. (Especially if it’s natural, non-invasive, and vegan — although I don’t limit myself to only those types of products.)
Some of you have asked me about different products I use — after all, I did used to run a fashion blog; I am a health coach and patient advocate; I enjoy beauty, hair, and makeup though I’m not good at it; and I love love love to share wellness products for the home and body.
Below I will share my favorite things, and if I happen to have a promo code or referral link for you, I’ll share that, too! I personally use or have used ALL of these. While I do have some affiliate links that I may get a teeny tiny commission on, these are all literally products in my home that I myself can vouch for and use regularly. (MANY are cruelty-free, paraben-free, etc. and all are gluten-free if possible.)
My hair is naturally on the wavy/curly side, and due to medications and brain surgery and autoimmune stuff, is rather thin, sparse, and brittle, if I’m being honest. Dry and damaged with an oily scalp … yay for me. That said, I think many of us have a love/hate relationship with our hair, and there’s no such thing as a “one-size-fits-all” beauty standard for anything — and that includes hair. I have at many points in time since 2011 dabbled in wearing hair extensions & wigs. I’ve done I-tip extensions, tape-in extensions, ‘halo’ extensions, clip-in extensions, and even hand-sewn/hand-tied extensions, which some people refer to as a weave. Almost all of the extensions I’ve worn are real human hair; the clip-in ones were synthetic which was, shall we say … regrettable.
Last winter and spring, I played around with wigs before deciding to dye my hair pink. My favorite was a lavender-pink lace-front with real human hair. I kind of wish it was my own hair (long and pink – YAS!) but, I digress. Currently, I’m rocking my own hair, sans extensions. I’ve been wearing my natural waves more frequently than not lately. I’d wanted a loose modern perm, but thanks to the right products, I found I didn’t need one – I had it in me (on me?) all along! Below are some hair products and brands that I LOVE! (Even though I’m typically wearing my hair up in a messy high pony or topknot!)
- Prose Personalized Haircare – Prose Salon customizes formulas for you! ($15 and up)
- Vegamour – Vegamour helps with growth and overall hair health! ($16 and up)
- Pravana Fresh Dry Shampoo – Smells heavenly, works well! (Their purple shampoo is also great for blondies.) (approx. $20)
- Deva Curl B’Leave In Miracle Curl Plumper – activates and preserves waves and curls! (approx. $20)
- Sei Bella Rice & Araminth Full Volume Shampoo & Conditioner – Safe ingredients, paraben and toxin free! ($15-$25)
- Keracolor Clenditioner – Pigment-depositing coloring conditioner for if you want to try a fun color without the commitment! (Arctic Fox is also great … and vegan!) (approx. $22)
- Evo Great Hydrater Moisture Mask – moisturize and condition your hair! (approx. $22)
- Dyson AirWrap Styler – Dry and syle at the same time! (approx. $500)
- Beachwaver – My favorite waving iron! (approx. $129)
- OGX Coconut products – Especially the Nourishing Coconut Milk Serum! ($3.99 – $13.99)
- Garnier Whole Blends Coconut Smoothing Oil – cheap and good! ($6.99)
My skin type is sensitive and combination, leaning towards the dry side. I have been lucky to not deal much with acne, except for micro-blackheads on the ol’ honker, and occasional (painful) blind pimples on my chin. I didn’t much worry about fine lines or loose skin until the past year or two, when suddenly I went from looking young for my age, to looking pretty close to it. (However, the employees that I manage swear they thought I was in my 20s, so maybe Zoom is more forgiving than I’d thought.) Currently, my biggest complaints are dry skin and those fine lines. I am not opposed to fillers, Botox, or cosmetic treatments, but, I don’t get them personally (yet.)
I do get Botox … but not in my face: I get it for chronic migraines which involves 32ish injections on my scalp, neck, temples, forehead, etc. and is not pleasant. At any rate, one of my regrets in life was not taking better care of my skin from a young age. I didn’t really have a skincare regimen or routine until last year, other than slapping on some sunblock or tinted moisturizer with a built-in SPF in the summer, washing with Noxema or Neutrogena, and occasionally using Clinique products. Now, I am trying to do better! Some of my favorites are below.
- Kylie Skin by Kylie Jenner – I am OBSESSED with their walnut face scrub, the toner milk, the rose bath salts, and the daily moisturizer. It’s also all paraben-free, gluten-free, and vegan. Judge all you want – Kylie’s skincare and makeup is fantastic and the gardenia candle by Kylie Skin is one of my favorite scents ever and should win every candle award if those are a thing. I’m enamored with all of it. ($16 and up)
- Mary Kay Cooling Under-Eye Gel – It is so good. That’s all. (approx. $15)
- HAOMA Earth Natural Skincare – I especially like the CBD Temple Balm and Eye Cream. ($12 and up)
- Josie Maran Argan Milk – Just, amazing. (average product price $50)
- Bio-Oil Specialist Skincare Oil – works great, and it’s cheap! Great for scars and stretch marks. (approx. $8)
- Sei Bella Honey & Rose – I like the toning mist and the makeup remover. ($15 and up)
- Nooni Applemint Hydrating Lip Oil – vegan Korean lip oil/skincare. (approx. $12)
- IT Cosmetics Tinted Moisturizer – lighter than a foundation, built-in SPF, moisturizes and protects. (approx. $35)
- Elevatione Time Stops – Sculptura and the Caviar Firming Neck and Décolletage Cream by Salvador Dali (approx. $100)
- Gold Bond Ultimate Neck & Chest Tightening Cream – Weird brand, works well. (approx. $9)
- Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Moisturizing Body Oil – with Vitamin E, soybean, sesame, safflower. (approx. $5)
- S.W. Basics Makeup Remover – organic, sulfate-free, vegan, made with almond oil, coconut oil, and jojoba oil. ($13.99)
- I do love Caress Daily Silk bar soap and Bath & Body Works shower gel and hand soap — I’ll still use these on occasion but try to aim for more natural type products!
- This one I haven’t tried yet, but I’m intrigued by Burt’s Bees Skincare products. (I use their lip balm.)
MAKEUP + PERFUME
Honestly, I’m not great at doing makeup, and I typically don’t wear any on a daily basis. However, I LOVE makeup, despite not wearing it a lot and not exactly being what you’d call a pro with application. I do know that if I wear certain shades of pink, red, or purple lipstick or
gloss that it makes my teeth look less white. I also know that too much black eyeliner ages me. I’m a fan of a strong brow and a not-too-pale lip. I love a good smoky eye but most often I’m makeup-free or doing a ‘natural’ makeup look. I don’t have a whole lot to say about it other than the fact that makeup is SO fun to play around with! Here are some of my favs.
- Haus Laboratories by Lady Gaga – vegan and cruelty, lots of bold colors. I love it, especially the lip pigment, lip liner, and gel eyeliner. ($10 and up.)
- Kylie Beauty High-Gloss Lip Gloss and Kylie Matte Lip Kits – lipliner, too. And again, please stop hating on Kylie Jenner. Her makeup line is on point! So is Kim’s, to be honest. ($15 and up)
- Fenty Beauty Iridescient Lip Luminizer – Fenty by Rihanna is pretty dope. (approx. $30)
- Clinique Pop Splash Lip Gloss – my go-to, “signature”, everyday favorite! (approx. $20)
- ColorStreet – safe, easy-application mani-pedi nail polish strips/nail sticks for fingernails and toes. (approx. $10-$20)
- Glamnetic – reusable, vegan, magnetic false lashes and liner … you’re welcome! ($30 and up, the combo kit is best value.)
- Vegamour Lash Serum – helps lashes grow naturally. ($79)
- Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara – it’s awesome. ($14-$26)
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Lash Brag Volumizing Mascara – probably my favorite mascara. ($13-$30)
- Benefit Brow Zings Pro Palette – one of my favorite cosmetic products! (approx. $39)
- Urban Decay Naked Eyeshadow Palette – I like pretty much all of Urban Decay’s eye palettes. (approx. $49)
- Avon Glimmersticks True Color Eyeliner – I like plum. They used to have a reddish burgundy shade I loved, too. ($9)
- Neutrogena Intense Gel Eyeliner – I like dark black or gray. (approx. $10)
- E.L.F. Active – workout-ready eye and cheek palette. (approx. $8)
- IT Cosmetics – all of it, but especially their foundation and CC cream. Their mascara is good, too!! ($20 and up)
- Revlon Kiss Lip Balm Crayon – it’s like LipSmackers, but for grown-ups! (approx. $3-$5)
- Neutrogena Hydroboost Moisturizing Lipgloss – it feels so hydrating, and not sticky. (approx. $7)
- Burt’s Bees Lip Balm & Renewing Treatment – I like it all! (approx. $4-$10)
- Philosophy – Amazing Grace & Pure Grace Perfumes and Room Spray (approx. $25-$40)
- KKW Crystal by Kim Kardashian West – some of the best and most beautifully-packaged perfumes I’ve ever encountered! Crystal Gardenia is amazing.
- Kate Spade Roll-On Perfumes – all smell fantastic! I like Live Colorfully and Walk on Air. (approx. $13-$20)
- Britney Spears Fantasty Perfume – my favorite perfume, period. There is a reason her pefume line is one of the most successful ever. (approx. $16-$35)
SUPPLEMENTS + WELLNESS
In terms of health and wellness, I will try just about anything. Nothing is too strange or “woo-woo” for me! From healing crystals to earthworm protein to cryotherapy and sensory deprivation, I have tried a lot for my physical and mental-emotional wellbeing. I must disclaim that I am NOT a doctor and you should ALWAYS consult your own doctor, medical professional, or healthcare provider before trying ANY new supplement, vitamin, treatment plan, or therapy, EVEN IF it is natural. Basically, don’t sue me, ‘cuz I’m just going by what I personally like and use! I am sharing my own product preferences and maybe even endorsing them, but, I don’t know what I’m talking about. I’m just a writer, a patient, and a behavioral health coach manager, okay? 🙂
I’ll also note that none of my product recommendations in this blog post are recommendations coming from any of my clients or employers. It’s all just coming from my little brain.
Now… let’s dive in.
- Vegamour GRO Gummies Advanced – vitamins for healthy hair. ($58-$68)
- Thermotex – amazing infrared heat and light therapy for pain relief. Try promo codes ASHLEY and ASHLEYX for discounts! (approx. $100-$200)
- Peak Performance – very effective vitamin packs; I like the metabolism or women’s formulations. (approx. $70-$100)
- FiberWise – the peach flavor is great! (approx. $19-$29)
- GC Control – helps with sugar cravings and weight loss — I like vanilla! (approx. $16-$24)
- Access Exercise Bars – for fitness, protein, fat conversion, muscle tone, energy, and endurance. ($14-$22)
- FLO Vitamins and ClaryCalm Roll-On Oil – both to help ease cramps and PMS symptoms! And they truly help. FLO is also good for skin. (FLO: $25-$29; ClaryCalm about $22-$40)
- Daily Harvest – HEALTHY smoothies, soups, and harvest bowls, delivered to your home. (price varies)
- Pressed Juicery – cold-pressed juices, delivered to your home. (price varies)
- Shakeology – I am not a BB coach anymore but the vegan vanilla Shake-O is a win! I can put you in touch with a great coach. (approx. $129)
- It Works! Cleanse and Wraps – I don’t sell this anymore, but I used to, and I still use it. The cleanse and skinny wraps are great. I can put you in touch with an awesome consultant. ($39-$100)
- Peloton – the app, the bike, all of it. Get $100 towards bike accessories with code QGME28.
- No Days Off Fitness – my husband. Personal trainer. Check it out. Pricing varies.
- Tone It Up – TIU exercise and nutrition plan rock! Pricing varies.
- Noom – nothing but good things to say! Subscription rates vary.
- Activate Immune Complex – berry is better than orange but both are good! 😉 (approx. $10-$15)
- Bolouke Lumbrokinase by Canada RNA – a supplement derived from an earthworm protein that can help with inflammation, biofilm, and circulation. ($70-$140)
- HealthyLine Rainbow Mat – Heated Chakra Crystal Mat w/ PEMF Therapy. ($400 and up)
- Essential oils (here and here) – prices, uses, and fragrances vary. Be careful diffusing around your pets!
- Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar – get it ‘with the mother.’ (approx. $2-$7)
- HiLyte Electrolyte Drops for Immune Health and Rapid Hydration – just a couple drops added to water. (approx. $20)
- Lily of the Desert Pure Aloe Vera Juice – no preservatives, includes inner fillet. I like the one in a glass jar. (approx. $4-$5)
- Sovereign Silver Bio-Active Colloidal Silver Nasal Spray – better than Flonase! (approx. $12)
I hate cleaning but I do like my products to be SAFE, nontoxic, and healthy, natural if possible, ‘green’ and environmentally friendly, smell good, and work well! Here are some of my preferred household products:
- Solu-Guard Botanical Wipes – natural, safe disinfectant wipes. So good. (approx. $10-$15 for a pack of 2.)
- MelaSoft Eco-Sense Concentrated Liquid Fabric Softener – the lavender and garden scents are great! AND safe/heatlhy. ($10-$16 for 96+ loads.)
- Raw Sugar Simply Lemon Bar Soap – affordable and smells good, safe and non-toxic! (approx. $5)
- Silver Miracles Soap – colloidal silver bar soap (approx. $7)
- Angry Orange Enzyme Cleaner – great for pet odors! ($15 and up)
- Zero Odor Pro – the best anti-pet-smell cleaner ever, also nontoxic, non-allergenic, and biodegradable! ($22 and up)
- Mrs. Meyers and LemonBrite – fantastic, safe, lovely-smelling dish soaps! (both approx. $3-$5)
- MelaSoft, Mrs. Meyers, Gain Botanicals, and BioKleen – plant-based, nontoxic, biodegradable laundry detergents. ($7-$25)
- Aunt Fannie’s Carpet Refresher – safe and so good! (approx. $10)
- Pet-Safe Odor-Eliminating Candles – one of the few candles that is safe for pet birds. (approx. $30)
- Tub & Tile – concentrated, safe ingredients, bathroom cleaner. (approx. $10)
- Method – love their bathroom cleaners. (prices vary)
- Molekule Air Purifiers (prices vary.)
- Seventh Generation Dryer Sheets – I like the lavender. Plant-based with zero synthetic fragrances. (approx. $7)
- Not gonna lie, I also like Mr. Clean Antibacterial Clean Freak Liquid, Snuggle Liquid Fabric Softener, and Febreze Gain Moonlight Breeze, but have stopped using most of those due to chemicals (my migraines + sensitive skin; and my pets, especially my parrotlet, as birds have VERY delicate respiratory systems.)
Okay … last category … pet products! You know I love my #shuckzoo furbabies (and feather baby!) so I want to keep them healthy and safe. They are like my kids! Oftentimes, I get the dogs things from Chewy or Amazon, and most of Pancake’s bird toys come from Etsy! Olive is big into toys (this and these are her ABSOLUTE favorites.) Pip never has been, even before he became Eye-Free Pippy; he’s always been more into being outdoors or snuggling. Brutus is a simple man: he wants standard yellow tennis balls in the backyard, and cheap Aldi or Purina dry dog food. (He also has a penchant for one toy: Maggie’s old “Chewnel” purse toy lol.) Pancake, my bird, LOVES toys — and since parrotlets are VERY smart and get bored easily, I have to switch his toys out often. He also eats ‘salad’ (a chop mix of fruit, veggies, etc.) each day along with some seed, pellets, and bird treats.
At any rate – here are some of their/our favorites!
- Nutrish by Rachel Ray – my littles love the small-breed dry food, Little Bites w/ chicken and veggie. ($16)
- I & Love & You Naked Essentials Dry Dog Food – Ancient Grain, Beef, Lamb – my pug and min-pin mix also love this! ($12)
- Heart to Tail – complete nutrition premium dry dog food, my doberman’s favorite go-to! (approx. $10)
- Bocce’s Bakery Crispies – banana and bacon recipe treats, 100% real food. ($8)
- Lazy Dog Cookie Company – strawberry-flavored organic dog cookies, soft-baked, free of wheat, corn, and soy. ($10)
- Fruitables – pumpkin and blueberry superfood crunchy baked dog treats. (approx. $4)
- Shameless Pets Lobster Rollover Dog Treats – soft-baked, upcycled ingredients, grain-free. ($6)
- ProCare Premium Jerky Dog Treats – yum! ($15)
- Bonka Bird Toys – my parrotlet loves all his Bonka toys! (prices vary.)
- Natural Rapport Bird Cage Cleaner – safe and clean! (approx. $13)
- Volkman Featherglow Courtmet Egg Supplement – gourmet eggfood and birdseed to help feather health and molting. ($23)
- Nutro Crunch Treats – mixed berry dog trets, non-GMO, 100% natural. ($7)
- Rawhide-Free Dreambone Twist Sticks – real chicken with vitamins and minerals. Safer than rawhide. ($8)
- Moosh Dog Shampoo – all-natural, organic, no sulfates, chemicals, or preservatives. Eco-friendly, made in the USA. With shea butter, aloe vera, argon oil, bentonite clay, and essential oil. ($15)
- Thermotex heated dog bed – I don’t have a discount code for this but I do for the Platinum Therapy System for humans and the other people-products! (use code ASHLEYX for the Platinum and ASHLEY for all others.) My dogs LOVE their Thermotex dog bed, though!
Well, hopefully some of these recommendations have been useful to you! You can see which products I get discounts or commission from here. (And with the rest, I receive no payment or perks!)
If you try any of these products and want to share, please tag me @ambshuck on Instagram or use hashtag #glitzburgh to show me!